- Semi-Dry-Sump Engine Design: Our semi-dry-sump and overhead-valve designs give you an engine that's shorter from top to bottom. The compact engine both lowers the center of gravity and increases ground clearance.
- Longitudinal Engine Layout
- Upgraded Fuel Injection: Being able to count on crisp performance and starting under any conditions is a must for anyone who depends on their ATV. Thanks to Honda's Programmed Fuel Injection (PGM-FI)—featuring a 34mm throttle body and 12-hole Denso injector, and Oxygen sensor—the Rancher not only ensures trouble-free operation in the cold and at varying altitudes, it reduces emissions and enhances fuel economy.
- Shaft Final Drive
- Solid-Axle Rear Suspension: A great choice for work use, the solid-rear-axle design reduces rear drop when pulling heavier loads and—in combination with our new suspension design—is great for recreation as well.
- Comfortable Seat: A plush seat and open rider triangle (Bars/Seat/Pegs) teams up with the suspension to really treat you right. Superior ergonomics have always been a Honda priority, and the Rancher is no exception. With thicker, softer foam this year, it’s more comfortable than ever.
- More Powerful Headlights: Increased light output (35 watts) along with a redesigned light pattern means improved visibility.
- New Electronic Instrumentation: Easy to read and full of the information you want, you get readouts for fuel level, clock, water temperature, speed and Honda’s “maintenance minder” system to help remind you when it’s time to have your ATV serviced.
- Styling: The Rancher line's bodywork gives it a tough look. But it does more than just look good: it's designed to last, despite the scrapes and dings of the job or the woods, and to help protect you from mud and other debris.
- Available TraxLok Selectable 2WD/4WD: This invaluable feature allows a rider to shift, via a front-panel-mounted lever, between 2WD and 4WD for maximum versatility during tough chores or on uneven terrain. (4x4 Rancher models only.)
- Electric Shift Program (ESP): The convenience of push-button shifting with the rugged design of a conventional ATV transmission—that’s what you get with Honda’s exclusive Electric Shift Program (ESP). Just push one button to upshift and one button to downshift. It’s a big plus when you’re wearing heavy work boots or overshoes, or riding in mud or snow. An added benefit: you get genuine compression braking for better control when operating in steep terrain.
- Engine Type: 420cc liquid-cooled fuel-injected OHV wet-sump longitudinally mounted single-cylinder four-stroke
- Bore And Stroke: 86.5mm x 71.5mm
- Induction: Keihin® 34mm throttle-body fuel-injection system
- Ignition: Full-transistorized type with electronic advance
- Clutch: Automatic
- Transmission: ESP five-speed with Reverse
- Driveline: Direct front and rear driveshafts
Chassis / Suspension / Brakes
- Front Suspension: Independent double-wishbone; 6.3 inches travel
- Rear Suspension: Swingarm with single shock; 6.3 inches travel
- Front Brakes: Dual hydraulic disc
- Rear Brakes: Sealed mechanical drum
- Front Tires: 24 x 8-12
- Rear Tires: 24 x 10-11
- Length: 80.9 in.
- Width: 46.1 in.
- Height: 45.1 in.
- Wheelbase: 49.2 in.
- Seat Height: 32.9 in.
- Ground Clearance: 6.5 in.
- Curb Weight: 549 lb. (Includes all standard equipment, required fluids and a full tank of fuel -- ready to ride)
- Fuel Capacity: 3.5 gal., including 1.0 gal. reserve
- Turning Radius: 8.5 ft.
- Model Id: TRX420FE1E
- Emissions: Meets current California Air Resources Board (CARB) and EPA off-road emissions standards.
- Available Colors: Red, Olive
Factory Warranty Information
- One Year: Transferable limited warranty; extended coverage available with a Honda Protection Plan